26.6.08

the wheels go 'round until they hit the curb

No, I am not speaking of my driving ability. Today, I got reacquainted with the wheelbarrow. Allow me to elaborate. A wheelbarrow, full of mulch (which is quite heavy), must be hoisted up a curb (which is not all that small), and then pushed to various places and emptied accordingly. The worst was pushing it through some trees, shrubs actually, with low-hanging branches which caught on your shirt and threatened to tear it apart.

Much better than weeding though - my finger will not be the same for the entire summer.

3 comments:

Joel f said...

Well, Maria, unfortunately. Mulch is the lightest thing you'll ever get to wheelbarrow. Even wet mulch. The thing I didn't like about mulch was when it was moist and pine, because it really smells. Once you get to barrow topsoil or worst of all gravel--especially lots of it--you'll be happy enough with mulch. A few weeks of barrowing will build up your muscles, though. Just wait 'til you can take a run at the curb and bounce a full barrow over it. Oh, the joys of the wheelbarrow. :)

maria. said...

Ah, but the wheelbarrow was full when we had to take it over the curb. Alas, it was a one day experience, mulching was, and I have been reported back to weeding detail. So much for the muscles, eh?

cat.herine said...

mulching = love.

tis my second favourite of all the monotonous tasks of a landscaper.