26.1.14

bathing in milk

According to the master of the house (who returned this past Friday [and has kept me busy since then. Absolutely no time for blogging ;) ]) the water I shower in is the same water that is bottled and sold in the city. Remarkable. And what luxury! It almost seems like a waste to see such special water go down the drain. But sometimes recycling can be taken a little too far.

Friday was marked with the grand ceremony (that had to take place practically immediately) of opening the suitcases and tupperware bin that contained carefully wrapped treasures from Canada. Products like coconut oil that are made locally are cheaper across several borders (depending on your flight patterns), chocolate, sippy cups for baby, chocolate, and a whole variety of other treats and daily necessities. Oh, and chocolate.

acerola, a fruit rich in vitamin c (aka bermuda cherry)



On this momentous day I was also allowed to participate in a highly secretive afternoon outing as a guest and "third-wheel" with the recently reunited couple. A local cafe, juice made of acerola, wonderful company, life and marriage advice… I'd tell you more but I may not be back in Canada for a while, doing penance for completely revealing what truly happens on Friday afternoons.




There are some differences between here and home, and yet not so many as one might expect. That whole thing about culture shock - forget it. A few weeks ago I spent a Saturday afternoon baking while watching the snow descend in a flurry. And probably still listening to Christmas music. Let's be honest. This Saturday there was no snow (I think there was a brief burst of rain) but there was baking, and much of it. At least I am learning where my gifts and talents lie.

Saturday did include a family trip to the chicken farm (perhaps not something that would happen at home).
the chicken coops
 I had no expectations for what this place would be like. It was huge. With many, many chickens of all shapes and sizes and breeds.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder?
 The family expert selected the chicks with great care and wisdom.

boxed and ready for the trip home

bigfoot -- bigfeet?

We had to dash through the rain to the car today, before both services. Lord's Supper was celebrated this morning, reinforcing the beauty and wonder of the catholic church. Last Sunday I was thrown into the Portuguese language with hardly any knowledge of the language (I wasn't even able to say "thank you" to the warm introductions) and heard the word "pecado" repeated throughout the sermon. This means "sin." At least I can recognize it? I could also pick out the various persons of the Trinity and understood the "amem"at the end of the sermon. This week, however, I was given a quick and rough translation of the sermon in English that I might follow along and also be edified by the preaching of the Word. I am learning a whole new skill that combines listening to a language I do not speak, reading a translation, and following the progression of the sermon.

The weather has changed from the warm but breezy temperatures I have enjoyed for the past week. With the rain has come humidity and more rain. Apparently rain means it's winter. But it may be summer again tomorrow or Tuesday when the sun returns.

In comparing things to home, I remember when Mom and I would sometimes have reading dinners, sitting in comfortable silence - although we probably had some nice music on in the background - each absorbed in her own book. This happened again tonight.

I am truly blessed to be so warmly welcomed here and that I have become a part of the family. I'm even included in the bedtime goodnights now!

No comments: