31.3.08

Cause for Celebration

My application is finally in! I like to do things by the skin of my teeth, in case you haven't noticed. I blame it on the influences from Flamborough. It's such a huge relief.

Last night we discussed the 7th commandment in YP. Rather scary, I know. But we had a really good discussion, divided up into boys and girls. And I found a fantastic text: 1 Corinthians 7: 34, 35. Our church society is so focused on the benefits of marriage while being single, yes it's a gift, but it's not expanded upon. I really like Paul. He goes on about how fantastic it is to be single and being married, yes it's a gift too (see verse 28). I have nothing against marriage, but I think we need a broader (or is it more broad? Some times I think too much about the English language and confuse myself) picture of life.

Another favourite text - 1 Peter 5:7 "Cast all your anxieties on Him because He cares for you." How much clearer does God have to make it that we cannot rely upon our own devices and that He is always right beside us, willing to carry us over the rough terrain and holding our hand through the troubled times and picking us up when we fall. If I got a tattoo, I would have it read 1 Peter 5:7. I have a tendency to forget it.

I was reading an article in Classics today and came upon the word recalcitrant. I love that word, though my English teacher didn't seem to appreciate my use of it in a Screwtape letter, see an age old post. Thanks for the introduction to it, Joel.

Another thing I like: checkerboard ice cream. Confession: I'm an ice cream addict. While I'm on the topic of confessions: I hate the phone. Which is why I have to call about twenty people about pizza orders in order to go to Québec. Arg. The sacrifices we make in life ...

I hope you all have a fantastic evening with the peace that God's Spirit works in you, the same Spirit which raised Christ from the dead!

2 comments:

Joel f said...

Singlehood is something we need to consider more, I agree. There's so much pressure, from our church society/peers/the media, so many images of relationships that we have. Sometimes we need to realize that our primary relationship is with God. (Broader.)
I also love checkerboard icecream. Chocolate and vanilla is good, but strawberry and vanilla is also great. In fact, it's hard to go wrong. I also love mint chocolate chip. Go Chapman's.

maria. said...

We had mint chocolate chip ice cream tonight: bribery in order to get the kids to eat their dinner, while I benefit from their pain. Although, the process of putting food in their mouths is pretty strenuous. (And chocolate is much better than strawberry.)