25.1.11

the will of the gods

I am fated. The bookstores draw me.

Before I get too far ahead of myself, allow me to set the stage.

Our class which had been scheduled for today was moved to Friday instead, so we in essence had the whole day to ourselves. To do work in the Bodleian Library, of course. Three of the girls (Hannah, Sally and Emma) decided that they wanted to spend the whole day in Oxford, and asked me to tag along.

The train leaves at 8:35 am.

Can I point out that I made it to the train first, even after sleeping in, even after making time for a shower and breakfast? Attribute this to the walking quickly skills which are being finely honed.

We wandered around town for most of the morning, stopping for a coffee to plan our course of action, making notes of where the amazing shoes are sold, taking lots of pictures, wandering through the Botanical Gardens which have the potential to be amazing in the spring, stopping at the Bod just in time to be productive for a little while before heading off to Regent's Park College for lunch.

The food there is incredible. I would just like to point that out. Today's menu: chili on rice with a brownie for "pudding". Dessert here is pudding.

Back for some more work, and then I headed off to Blackwell's before catching the 4:47 train. This store is wonderful. Not only is it filled with books, but it has multiple floors which are filled with books, the uppermost of which is used books. This is where I come into trouble.

Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South, since my copy had been deemed too shabby and was put in the litter bin.
Wilkie Collins' The Law and the Lady - I've heard good things about Collins. Wilkie, that is.
Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children because it is a must-read.

At 4:30 I looked at my watch and realized that I had better leave then. 8 minutes later (trust me, this is no small feat for short legs), I caught up with friends who were also catching the 4:47 train about a minute away from the train station.

My camera has mysteriously decided to start working again, so click here (also listed along the side) to see an album of the adventures up to today.

Now, to read As You Like It for tomorrow.

No comments: