4.3.14

10/100 - picking my own perch

Today is Carnival day, where people celebrate this life with over-exhuberance before observing Ash Wednesday tomorrow.

In order to escape the riotous city, people gather here at the centre for an afternoon of games and various activities. This year was an Amazing Race, incorporating all my favourite elements of "Fun Day" in elementary school. The sack race, having to carry a pingpong ball on a spoon after spinning in a circle, some sort of combination of soccer and hockey… But I carry my cynicism with me from those days. Safely positioned behind my camera, I thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon from my vantage point. It's all about perspective, right?

why couldn't they have had puzzles like this in my day?
I make it out to sound as though this was an afternoon only for the children here, but all ages participated in this friendly competition with a willing and eager attitude, encouraging each other with a good spirit.


diving for golf balls
The weather was so lovely this afternoon, filled with sunshine, laughter, and cheers from across the centre. As it was so warm, the majority of the participants ended up in the pool to cool off after some action-packed hours. The water sloshed merrily over the sides of the pool as cheerful chaos mixed in the water.

These sort of days aren't limited by language barriers and they remind me what a wonderful world we live in.

No comments: