10.3.14

these high green hills

Sunday morning in Campina Grande began with several alarms going off, as well as some imitation bird songs, followed by a very generous breakfast that included chocolate cake on the menu (not that I had any. promise). 

The drive to church was through beautiful countryside with rolling hills upon rolling hills, but breakfast took a little longer than expected and we were behind schedule when we left and made it just a few minutes before the service started, so there wasn't time to stop for pictures. We passed through small towns that consisted of a collection of homes, and then it was in the rearview mirror already. 

I dislike playing the tourist on Sundays, so, unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the church Esperança. It seemed as though the entire congregation gathered together for a potluck lunch in our honour - a common occurrence (in my experience, anyway) of Reformed Brazilian congregations. All that socializing was exhausting, so it was rest time when we got back to the hotel. Except for me. The beautiful weather was calling, so I wandered about the pools before succumbing to the need to escape the bright sunshine.



15/100 #100happydays

I stayed home in the afternoon in case the slightly ill or the very young needed some assistance. However, my services weren't needed, so I listened to a sermon from the comfort of the balcony in the cool evening weather. Yes, cool. The temperature actually drops in Campina Grande to the low 20s and, combined with a strong breeze that sounds like the ocean, it's almost enough to drive one to wearing a sweater. Almost.

Staying in a hotel is so luxurious. Fancy breakfasts, room service, no cooking or cleaning, bathrooms where the faucet to change the water temperature is a handle by the sink - not actually in the shower - and cushioned toilet seats. This morning we didn't have chocolate cake for breakfast, but the disappointment was made up for by fruit animals.

march of the penguins at breakfast

view from the restaurant - what's not to love?

Since we had a long drive ahead of us today, we decided to pack up and begin the journey home after breakfast. Well, the adults gathered the scattered belongings while the children watched cartoons. What a life! The pool was probably still filled with beer cans from the party in there yesterday, so a swim wasn't an appealing option.

Holiday days seem to be marked by meals. Especially here. I have been spoiled by the delicious meals I have enjoyed in the past two months. I may be converted into taking food pictures. Today included a very fruity breakfast (there is nothing like fresh, fresh fruit for breakfast), and then the highlight of lunch was what came after: ice cream topped by sugary creations.

after lunch treats, complete with decorations - 16/100
Not too shabby, right?

And now I'm spending one last night in Brazil. My solitary suitcase is nearly packed, my jeans are laid out and ready for the long trip home (oh the horror), a pair of socks is in my carry on bag (shiver), books are stacked carefully for the journey… What has been my room for the past two months looks rather barren.

It seems like last week that I said goodbye to the Canadians who were leaving for home, and now it's my turn. Upon coming home, this trip will feel like it happened years ago, but at least the memories and personal growth will stay.

No comments: