8.3.14

from the rising of the sun - 14/100

Sunrise was at 5.35 this morning, which meant getting up earlier than that in order to catch the first glimpses of the sun - a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity in the most eastern city of the Americas: Joao Passoa. It's the hour of runners and photographers. The sunlight had already crept over the horizon as I made my way down to the beach at 5.15 and I was prepared to be disappointed in myself for not getting up earlier. However, that golden orb soon made his appearance through the thick clouds, ensuring that the effort was worthwhile.



After a leisurely breakfast in our hotel rooms, soundtracked by Portuguese cartoons, we packed everything up into the cars in search of an appropriate lookout point. Clever businessmen set up stands to sell hats both at the bottom and the top of the hill we climbed for a high vantage point and more interesting view than standing on a mere sandy beach… The sun was extra hot today (were we all extra sensitive to the heat or was it actually warmer than what I have been used to?) and so we became some of those tourists who forgot to pack their hats, thought they could do without them, and then realized how foolish that was. Straight across that water (pictured below. and above) is Africa. If you listen carefully, you can hear the beat of their drums (or so I'm told with a twinkle).


graffiti'd tree
From Joao Passoa we headed westwards and inland. We stopped for lunch at a mall (the thing to do here); apparently today is International Women's Day, so my lunch was served with a smile and a red rose - I'm not about to complain about that!

The landscape is much different here, with all these rolling hills and open fields… Granted, I am more accustomed to seeing the busy streets and sights of Recife than these pastures. It reminds me, just a little bit, of Scotland with the rougher and craggier scenes; Scotland doesn't have palm trees, though. It's all so green. And big. And beautiful.



Town here is much less chaotic than the streets of Recife. And cooler. The temperature actually drops to the low 20s in the evenings! I haven't actually seen too much of this city yet besides the little we drove through to get to the hotel with its fantastic views and breezes. There's no sound of the ocean crashing nearby, but it is peaceful, with the scent of someone's cigar wafting through the open door…

view from our balcony
I am so blessed and so thankful to have opportunities like this.

1 comment:

mom said...

yes, you are blessed... and I'm thankful for it!